Tuesday 15 October 2013

Out With The Old, In With The New: Hair

Hey guys,
I have to say, I loved this idea when Bee made her post so I decided to do one of my own but for my hair straightener.

So lets start with the old. When I was 17, my mom bought me a Coriolis hair straightener for Christmas. I was so excited because this was the first hair straightener I had ever owned and it was red :D my favourite color. For the first 5-6 months I thought it worked really well, until the on/off switch started to malfunction. The on light would flicker on and off which meant there was a wiring problem. So back it went and my mom exchanged it for the gold one in the picture below. Now, this has lasted me almost 5 years which is great, but it was so expensive and I think it wasn't worth that much money. It doesn't smooth my hair very well and it took 6-7 passes on one small section to get it straight enough. It would also catch and rip pieces of hair out of my head if I didn't brush it 3 times before trying to use the straightener. It also really sucked at curling hair, even though it was marketed to be able to do this easily. And when I attempted to do this, it would catch half way through the piece of hair and cause my hair to be straight until the every end, where it would curl. I also found that the temperature it was supposed to reach each time got lower and lower as the years went by. So although it did last a long time, it had crappy performance, even in the beginning, and it took so long to do my hair that most days I wouldn't bother with using it. 

 
And here is the new. So over the last couple of years, I had been seeing Bee use her Chi digital control straightener and marveled at how quick she could do her hair. I even had the chance to test it out on my own hair now and again and it made my hair look beautiful. So one day, when shopping at West Edmonton Mall, Bee and I hopped into Rain, a hair supply store and hair salon. They had the original Chi on sale but I ended up getting the temperature control one that you see below on sale for 50% off (thanks Bee! she talked about how she got hers on sale so the manager lowered the price :D). So I have been using this product for the last few weeks and I am blown away. It glides over my hair like a dream and doesn't catch at all, which is a huge improvement in and of itself. It gives my hair the most gorgeous shine and instantly smooth any frizz. And best of all, with having bangs now, its super easy and quick to make my bangs behave in the morning. So a few more features that are helpful with this straightened: it takes no time to heat up and with the digital temperature read-out, you know when its at the right temperature. The fact that you can control the temperature also gives you the option to use less or more heat, depending on the style you want and your hair type, which helps to prevent unnecessary hair damage. I am loving this hair straightener and I actually enjoy doing my hair in the morning which is a nice change. I haven't tried to curl my hair with this tool yet so I can't tell you if its easy or not or how the curls turn out but if I do, I will leave a comment below to let you guys know.
 
I thought this would be a good time to share with you my favourite hair spray and it is the Sebastian Re-Shaper hair spray. I hate it when my hair gets crunchy or feels really un-natural and this stuff is great for giving good hold without that yucky crunchy feeling. Now, you cant go and spray a huge amount all over your hair or it will get crunchy, like almost all hairsprays, but spray a light mist over the parts you want to hold in place and your good. When I curl my hair, I tend to curl it then brush it out to give that soft wave effect and I love using this product for that. I spray a little on the curls once they cool and continue curling and once my whole head is done, I brush it through with a paddle brush and then lightly spray some more all over to keep it in place. This is also a great product for keeping those fly aways and baby hairs in place. I actually spray this lightly on a teasing brush and gently brush over the top of my hair and it works great, especially when my hair is already up. Overall it is a great staple to any hair product collection because it has great hold, is versatile and it smells good which is always a good thing :D.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment